Monday, May 11, 2009

Wedding Savings


After the engagement of my cousin this past weekend, the total amount of weddings I have this year has congealed itself into a mass of...4.

That's four plane tickets to IL, four dresses to be bought for three different seasons, four presents I have to provide with money from my own pocket, which is currently about as shallow as a wading pool. On top of all that extra moolah, factor in a wedding I'm involved in which would also include throwing in cash for the bachelorette party and bridal/wedding shower.

Total= My first born

To be honest, I am a dramatic person. I've reached the critical age in which many of my family members, peers and dear, dear friends are tying the captain's knot with their most adoring sailors...and I should probably just relax. It's common. Not everyone waits until the very last minute to say "Okay, fine, let's go buy a house and shoot out some babies" like I always thought I would at 38. This tedious economic situation has just made paying for pegs in the game of life a mite more expensive.

Instead of running around my room like a decapitated turkey, I decided that when I'm not paying off health insurance or student loans, the next available paycheck will be turned into what I now refer to as the WS or "Wedding Savings".

This way, come August when the first one happens, I'll have a small chunk of money to help supplement my American Airlines ticket, a smashing dress from Wear Today Gone Tomorrow and a pint or two at the airport bar.

Now if only I could take the money I save for the occasional coffee and transfer it to the WS. It's just silly to believe that I should have a life outside of work anyway.

No comments: