Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rejection Objection


I'm only 22, soon to be 23 and know that I'm in for a hell of a lot more sad moments in my life. Looking on the bright side, making silly faces and generally enjoying myself should take precedent over my daily moping.

Sure, that cool job I thought I wanted was given to an intern who won't make money for their time. Maybe the economy sucks so much that working at Starbucks (which is nothing to sneer at, they have health care)has become more and more appealing. Perhaps someday I'll look back on all my turmoil trying to find employment and laugh as tears roll down my face.

Smiling is infinitely harder when I seem to keep failing.

Both my boyfriend and my mother say I'm a Debbie Downer. I say "of course, have you seen my resume?" I have done TONS of childcare work, which means I should have Donald Trump's job; I'm taking on the child-size version of "The Apprentice". I have/had an internship which took up a great deal of my time, paid for my travel expenses not including my Metrocard and provided me with mounds of experience that mean bupkis to the CEO who knows he's gonna hire his kid rather than me. Childcare, while being incredibly difficult at points and involving lots of patience does nothing for me. Most of the high-ups see childcare as the be all end all of womanly duties that I should be happy to have. And I really want to relay a few choice words to those people...but I'm a lady and ladies keep it zipped.

Which leads me to believe that I'm doomed.

Then I have my coffee, sit and reflect and discover my potential buried deep inside all my insecurity and childhood memories.

If I was completely hopeless, I wouldn't have managed to nab that internship, my nannying position, or any of the numerous clusters of childcare jobs I've had since the age of 12. An intern/assistant is nothing compared to a 10 year old with ADD.

NOTHING.

So I say bring it. I'm completely prepared.

No comments: