Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Banking Faux Blah


I am not a trend setter, not by any means. Sure, I'll claim that my beanie baby elephant was the first real foray into the phenomenon at my elementary school, or that I was wearing a peace sign scarf far before the women of New York caught on, but I would never claim to be fashionable. Fashionistas are the ones who have money, or great connections and I have neither.

Which brings me to the point of this entry: saving for something special. Living in Queens isn't exactly cheap; anything involving New York City and rent will obviously be competing with student loans as "the thing that keeps me from owning a home". And since the Boyfriend is kind enough to front the rent for both of us (I'm working towards this not being the case anymore), I'm able to save a few more pennies towards something I need, like a new bathing suit, a gym membership, decent work clothes, a new pair of flip flops come May, a session with a great psychiatrist and, uh, health insurance. That is, unless Obama decides to ignore the whining of the general (re)public and push the healthcare bill. Though I would have to assume that cosmetic surgery will still be uncovered (no pun intended).

I can feel a new blemish on the rise.

In any case, saving isn't exactly something you debate; it's a state of...change (more puns, I know). A few friends have been using their paychecks to front for commuting, parking tickets, auto insurance, regular insurance, better work clothes, Ben, Jerry and beer. Their savings accounts may be minimal but as a 20 something, it's hard to save. We're stuck in the rut of debt and social dependency; sometimes buying a girl/guy a drink can break the bank. Same goes for weddings (it's nearing June...), bar mitzvahs, christenings, and all those other holidays/events that as adults require us to present our own gift (more puns) rather than hide behind the pocketbooks of our mothers.

This doesn't stop me from accepting a handout from mi madre for a plane ticket to Illinois for my cousin's shower. I mean, sure, all the friends there are mine, but family is like one of those "need" things I put into the "Mom owes me one" category. Weddings, funerals and baby showers. All things I dread but must attend well dressed with my mouth shut. Friends, on the other hand, are a completely new animal. I'm in a wedding this year for an old college pal and in no uncertain terms am I allowed to skimp on my duties as bridesmaid number orange. Where the money will come from, I have no idea. The amount I can pull from my savings is equal or less than the amount currently in there...if I cross my fingers hard enough maybe dreaming will turn into reality. Thank god Erik plays the Mega Millions on a weekly basis.

Besides social marathons and family obligations, saving money can be easier than I've made it out to be. Yes, as 20-somethings our calenders are booked until our wake, but that doesn't mean we can't throw 2K of money in a CD or Credit Union and let it rest for awhile. Let it gain some interest and stay far, far away from our Ebay accounts or, in my case, members only shopping sites like ideeli.com.

The mattress just isn't the way to go anymore...at least, not money wise.

*Photo courtesy of Critical Gamers

No comments: