Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Old Friend

I had lunch today with an old high school friend. It amazed me that I hadn't seen or really talked to her in five years; what had I been waiting for? What aspect of our old friendship had disappeared between high school and the real world? I can only assume the aging of our persons was what left us drifting apart. We chose to disappear from each other's lives but I am ultimately glad that I was able to see her again and now we can continue a new friendship made from our adult musings and pleasantries.

There are differences in losing friends; rather than make the decision to cease communication, sometimes the choice is taken out of your hands.

It's nearing the two year mark of Robert's death and all I can think is "I wish I could still talk to you". Not see his face, steal his drinks or tap his shoulder, but hear his laughter, his voice. Robert was a fount of information and advice; two Valentine's Days ago, we sat in a Potbelly's on campus, bitching about how we were single. He urged me to eat half his cookie, something I didn't want to do with the age-old "I'm going to get fat" mantra of women.

There are the simple memories you choose to remember and the ones you try to forget...and then there are the ones you want to keep making. And I wanted to make them with Robert.

But for now, I'll try not to forget the people I did make memories with, good or bad.

My old friend, I miss you. And my new old friend, welcome back.

No comments: